Speed Reading the Tarot with Christiana Gaudet
Christiana Gaudet is my kind of tarot reader: concise, no-nonsense and practical. She gets right to the point without stalling for time; and knows immediately what aspect of a card to highlight. Her decades of full-time reading shines through her technique. She intuitively knows what the client needs: practical advice, compassion, reassurance, a kick in the pants – she can deliver any of that with any card. I’ve given an exercise below that will help you read just as fluently and quickly.
As far as I know, Gaudet has used Waite Smith cards her entire career. There’s something to be said for sticking to one type of deck and building up a rich web of associations that you can draw on during readings. I believe that’s a large part of intuition – the ability to call up just the right association, at the right time, for the right client. It takes a lot of study and a lot of practice to get to that point.
To read quickly and fluently, you must coordinate eyes, brain and mouth; and have the courage and confidence to say what you see without hesitating. Meanwhile, your intuitive antennae are vibrating in the client’s direction and you modulate your presentation according to what you pick up. Card readers are the ultimate multi-taskers.
Speed Reading Practice Exercise
Below the links I’ve listed 33 client questions gathered from Gaudet’s videos and my own practice, so these are real-world examples. Use the list for the following exercise.
- Put the list where you can see it.
- Place a shuffled deck face down in front of you.
- Read a question.
- Turn a card over.
- Answer the question out loud in no more than 30 seconds.
- Don’t think. Don’t hesitate. Just start talking.
- Keep going: one reading after another without pause.
For TdM readers:
- Use just the trumps and turn over one card per question.
- Have two stacks: trumps and suits. Turn over a card from each stack and let the suit card modify the trump.
- Shuffle the entire deck, turn over two cards at a time and blend them into one message.
See Gaudet’s reading style in action on her Global Tarot Circle facebook page where she conducts mini classes and gives live readings. These are one-card readings in under 30 seconds. (I timed her – fastest reading: three short sentences in seven seconds. Longest reading: 27 seconds). Brief doesn’t mean superficial. Her answers are always thoughtful, practical and focused. I’m in awe.
Christiana’s Youtube channel where she archives the readings mentioned above as well as weekly three-card readings.
Her website: https://www.christianagaudet.com/
LIST OF PRACTICE QUESTIONS
- I just started a business, how will it go
- Why does the 10 of Swords keep coming up in my readings
- What do I need to know about my health
- What does the universe want me to know right now
- How will my surgery go
- Will the court case come out successfully
- I’ve been feeling strange lately—how is my energy shifting
- What do I need to know about my current job
- What do you see for my new relationship
- Why do people constantly misunderstand me
- Am I going to find a compatible roommate
- I’ve been unemployed for months, when will I get a job
- What do you see for the next week for me
- Can I keep my car running a little while longer, or is it time to get rid of it
- I’ve been feeling unsettled lately, I need a card to give me a focus
- Is this the time to quit my day job and focus on doing what I love
- How does my boyfriend feel about our relationship
- What do I need to know about my financial situation
- I’m starting a new job next week, how will it go
- What do you see for the next month for me
- I feel like a global catastrophe is coming — what does tarot say
- I met a man online and we seem compatible. How will it go if we meet in person?
- We just made an offer on the house, will we get it
- Will my upcoming trip go smoothly
- Should I get a dog
- Will my wedding day be amazingly successful
- How can I learn to manifest
- I’m moving to another country, how will it go
- I feel like I have a special mission but don’t know what it is. What do the cards say?
- Will my financial situation improve
- Will I ever find true love
- Will we find the right house soon
- How can I carve out more time for myself
Q. Will my upcoming trip go smoothly?
A. (Judgement) Prepare for the unexpected and treat it like an adventure. Leave room in your plans for side trips and exploring things not on your itinerary.
Q. Is this the time to quit my day job and focus on what I love doing?
A. (Spanish Captain and Ace of Batons) Yes! It’s time to use your considerable creative energy and run with your projects. But I don’t see your plans producing money right now. Beware of overconfidence. Have a plan for supporting yourself until your project starts paying off.
Q. How can I carve out more time for myself?
A. (Six of Batons and Knight of Batons) You need to leave your environment – go on a retreat or take a vacation by yourself. If traveling isn’t feasible, set up an office or studio — a private space just for you. Then set boundaries around your personal space and your time.
- Think of a problem or situation you are facing.
- Brainstorm at least six questions to ask about it.
- Speed read the questions.
- Be surprised at what comes out.
Card images: Tarot Flamand de 1780, Ceska Carta, 2009.
Please share your readings in the comments section. I’d love to know how this exercise works for you.